Digital Services Guidelines
Our aim is to inform and involve you with what is happening in Lake Macquarie City, update you on events, ask for your advice or opinion and alert you to breaking news. Council's digital services, including our social media pages, supplements the information published on lakemac.com.au.
Responding to comments or direct messages
We manage our social media pages during business hours and responds to comments, and direct messages within one business day. You can also lodge a formal request, comment, enquiry, compliment or complaint, via the report an issue/feedback form, email, phone or in writing.
We will not collect and record your personal details such as your user identity and email address through our social media pages. Please note Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Xand YouTube individual privacy policies.
If you are lodging a customer request via our social media channels, any details you provide will be managed in accordance with our Privacy Management Plan.
Social media house rules
We welcome your comments and do not discriminate against any views. We encourage you to openly discuss and share your opinions with others and us on our social media pages.
We moderate where needed and may turn comments off on posts in order to ensure our page is friendly and welcoming for all visitors.
We ask that when contributing your views to our Lake Macquarie City Council social media pages, you ensure that you:
- do not harass, abuse or threaten other visitors to the site
- do not post comments that are likely to offend others, particularly in reference to an individual's race, age, gender, sexuality, political leaning, religion, or disability
- do not use obscene or offensive language
- do not post information that may compromise the health, safety or security of others
- do not post any comments that are potentially defamatory
- do not post false or misleading information
- do not encourage misconduct or illegal activity
- do not post repeat comments continuously
- do not promote anything that may constitute deliberate 'trolling' or spam, such as commercial interests, solicitations, political party endorsements, advertisements, or endorsements of any non-governmental agency
- protect your personal privacy by not including email addresses, phone numbers, or home addresses on the public wall.
- keep comments relevant to the specific post and thread.
If you don't adhere to the above, we may remove your comment. If you repeatedly breach these social media house rules, we may restrict you from our social media pages.
Lake Macquarie City Council has made reasonable effort to ensure that the information contained on our digital services, including social media pages, is current and accurate at the time the page was created or last modified. Council makes no guarantee of any kind, and no legal contract between the Council and any person or entity is to be inferred from the use of or information on the Twitter, Linkedin, Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook sites.
Council gives no warranty and accepts no responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information. No user should rely on the information, but instead should check for confirmation with the originating or authorising body. Council reserves the right at any time to make such changes as it deems appropriate to that information. Council has no responsibility for the accuracy of any content obtained from this medium and stored by a user in any form.
Any links to external websites, apps and/or non Lake Macquarie City Council information provided on Lake Macquarie City Council's digital services, including social media pages, are provided as courtesy. They should not be construed as an endorsement by Lake Macquarie City Council of the content or condition or views of the linked materials. Any advertisement that may appear when viewing our page is not endorsed by Lake Macquarie City Council, nor are we directly affiliated with the advertisement unless stated otherwise.
The act of Lake Macquarie City Council "liking" or "following" or "sharing information" from an organisation, business, group, individual person, location, app or event through social media platforms does not indicate that Lake Macquarie City Council endorses the products, views, activities or services relating to the "liked" or "followed" or "shared" entity, business or group.